Kenny said this one day after we spent far too long in the City Year office. There are two opposing walls in the MLK space upstairs that are both red. I believe it was dark outside, proving that we had been "changing the world" from dawn to dusk. The CY slogan is “Give a year. Change the world.” So, we often joke when we are in a rush somewhere by saying, “Ah, I gotta go change the world…I’m sorry…I will talk to you later!”
Speaking of changing the world, I FINALLY saw “Waiting For Superman.” Everyone needs to see it. I mean EVERYONE. I apologize for the capital letters, but I need to emphasize that the public education problem in our country affects EVERYONE and EVERYONE needs to help to solve it. Sneak Peek: The film highlights 5 children as they struggle to get a good education in some of America’s lowest performing schools. They each try to apply for a spot at an alternative charter or boarding school to get out of the public school system. It also shows that tenure is not something that is working for our schools. I am not sure how I feel about this, especially after hearing from Michelle Rhee on the movie. The blame is placed highly on the poor teachers. I agree. I believe that the film demonstrates that charter schools prove that children who may live in awful conditions with broken homes can still learn and succeed. Charter schools also prove that a combination of terrible teachers and administration can be the main problem with a failing school. But, I do not think that building charter schools all over the country are going to cure the drop-out epidemic. When I figure out the answer, I will be sure to pass it on, but at least I can say I know that well-prepared, passionate, excellent teachers are the best place to begin. Hopefully, when I embark on teaching next school year, I will fit those categories.
Passionate….Check!
I have not written in a while…so long, in fact, I am of a new age. I am 23 now. I had a great birthday! I feel like it’s a cool age. I'm pretty sure I have heard many awesome stories that began with, “When I was 23…” So, I will ignore my thoughts of feeling old and focus on making this the best year yet. I have some major goals set for myself. Mainly, I plan to graduate from City Year with the mindset that I did everything in my power to help my 12 kids and the city of Columbia and get hired as an elementary school teacher to begin in August/September.
![]() |
| The Corps surprised Rodney and me with a birthday celebration! |
![]() |
| Dad bought 3 beer samplers throughout the weekend! Vacation, right? |
On November 3rd I did not celebrate much. I only worked for 10 hours, went to practice, cooked myself some amazing shrimp fettuccine alfredo, and went to bed early. The weekend after my birthday, though, Mom and Dad came to visit!!!! It was awesome to show them around the city; all the places I go and enjoy. We spent a whole day in Charleston too. Isle of Palms was lovely, and the water was warm! No, we did not go swimming. Downtown Charleston is one of my favorite places to wander around. It was nice to share time and fun with my parents. I did realize that I miss home even more. It’s so much different to see and spend time with family/friends than it is to talk to them on the phone or email. Just enjoying the same activities and jokes makes a big difference. This weekend, Joanna came down from Rock Hill, and we had a really fun time. It was so great to catch up and have fun together after not seeing each other since July!
My biggest job right now is working with my students at school. I feel like I do critical work there. But, another part of my job is to do service around the city of Columbia. At this point, I do not feel like I have done enough of the service part. Helping make things for other charity events, serving food at a band competition and painting wooden structures at a children's park are not enough for me. Unfortunately, there is not much we can do about it. We just cannot find people who need our help. I want to do more meaningful service so that I can fulfill my personal goals!
Upcoming events:
- Amanda and Kenny’s birthday party at Summer Breeze with Mama Nellie
- Turkey Tournament in Alabama
- 2-day week
- Thanksgiving in Fort Lauderdale with Annalee
- December is nearby (and I am still in shorts hehehe)
Song of the day: “Shine” by John Legend <------- Listen Please



I GOT A SHOUTOUT!!!!! WOOPWOOP!!!!!!!!!! =D
ReplyDelete