Friday, December 3, 2010

"We came for some fun and a game of ultimate broke out"

I had a blast the weekend before Thanksgiving at the Turkey Tournament in Huntsville, Alabama.  I played with and against some of the best female players I have seen so far around here and best post-ultimate food I have ever had.  We played all day on Saturday, took a wonderful shower, and then returned to the fields for some amazing turkey and fixings.  Sunday, we were a little tired, I pulled a hamstring in the semifinal game, we came up short with the 3rd place, and we drove 8 hours home…but it was great! 
Sultans of Colossal Wishboners
            I had two days of work after my long weekend and I have never been so tired.  I walked into my fourth grade class and a student said, “Whoa, Miss Emily, you look tired.  What happened to your hair?”  I must have looked a little disheveled. 

            Now it was time for Florida!  Rhyan, Kristen, Kenith and I piled in my car at 4:30 AM and headed south.  I spent almost the entire day on I-95.  Good times.  Coffee and some M.A.S.H passed the time.  I dropped off the passengers in Daytona Beach.  From there, they made their way to the west side of Florida.  However, I continued south on 95 for another 3 ½ hours.  As I drove alone, I blasted some good tunes (N*Sync and Hanson of course) and rolled the windows down.  I arrived in Coral Springs, near Fort Lauderdale, and it was bright and very warm.  Annalee met me outside the house where she is staying (after I got there).  She got back from a missions trip in Haiti as I drove into her town.  It was so great to see her after so long.  The family that she stays with is so great and they were very welcoming to me.  I met her friends, who are also really fun and sweet.  Thanksgiving was delicious, brought to us by an amazing 15-year-old chef!  She happened to cook the turkey upside-down, but that’s okay.  Supposedly, that’s how you keep the white meat juicy.

I got to skype (ooVoo) with my family on Thanksgiving!

Palm tree, beach, at night, in November...Woo Hoo!





            We hung out in Delray Beach Friday night, and on the actual beach, toes in sand, on Saturday.  The water temperature was 77 and the air 85.  Oh yes, it was perfect!  I swam around in the clear warm water and read my book on the sand.  Next to me, palm trees were swaying in the wind.  It was just what I needed.








 I said goodbye to Annalee early on Sunday and headed back to Daytona to pick up my friends, and then back to Columbia.  This time it was not such a delightful ride.  It took us 12 hours; 4 of which were spent in the low country of South Carolina, and I mean country.  We pulled over just before sundown so that I could pick some cotton.  It was the first cotton field I had seen, so I needed a souvenir.


Song of the day:  “Just What I Needed” by The Cars

1 comment:

  1. Haha sounds like a great thanksgiving! My mom purposefully cooks the turkey upside down to keep the meat nice and juicy and it is YUMMY!!!

    ReplyDelete