Wednesday, October 27, 2010

"Our roots determine our routes"

I think I read this at the end of the Wes Moore story, and it stuck with me.  I find truth in this statement, but I also think its the protection, nourishment, and conditions of the environment in which the roots are planted.  I cannot wait to see where my routes take me.

As I drove into my neighborhood today and it smelled like Lancaster in the spring mixed with skunk road kill, I decided it was time to complain a little bit about where I live.  The entire city smelled today, I am assuming because of some farming going on, but it particularly smelled at our apartment complex.  Yesterday, I couldn’t even get home because there was a fire at the old farmers market and the only access road to my apartment was blocked off.  I drove around trying to find the secret entrance until I gave up, yelled a little bit on the phone with Shanice, and then finally she came to save me.  Our dishwasher broke and I am not sure when it will be in the top of the to-do list for Maintenance.  My ceiling fan makes a funny noise, but I have to sleep with it on because then I don’t hear the condensing units directly outside my window.  Also, I cannot open my window and get fresh air for the same reason.  My building is right by the exit gate, so I have to drive around the entire complex to get home.  My neighbor with whom I share a wall enjoys blasting his music at 9:30 on Monday nights, cranking up the bass enough to shake the blinds on my window.  The internet is awfully slow.  I shouldn’t even get started on what traffic is like on football game days.  People swarm out apartments and the surrounding area, walking in the middle of the road and leaving a lot of trash behind.  Amanda and I have decided to leave a change of clothes and a toothbrush in our cars just in case we really can’t get home one evening.  Good thing I keep my sleeping bag in the trunk.  At least the fair has packed up and left.  The pool was closed more than it was open.  We have a front porch, but there is a fence around it so high that we cannot put normal furniture out there, therefore the porch is basically imaginary.  To close my rambling complaint, I would like to apologize because I should be thankful that I even have a roof over my head and a bed (whether it’s like sleeping on a rock at the Pinnacle or not).  One boy who I work with told me that there are 8 people living in his two-bedroom house and he sleeps on the floor every night.  Columbia, SC may have up to 1,500 daily homeless people.
I am concerned about homelessness in our country.

Me and my mocha!
        I ate at Lizard’s Thicket for the first time. 
            I decided that I shouldn’t ever teach middle school. 
            I bought acrylic paint with money from my savings.
I have added things to my bucket list but have not checked anything off.
I always think tomorrow is Friday.
I got 3 books about teaching at the library yesterday.
I think about coffee a lot.
I think about my college friends a lot.
I think about my family a lot.
I think about my future a lot.
I am already sick of wearing the same thing everyday and I have until June 2nd.
I wish Boy Meets World was on at a different time.
I want to play ultimate…all the time.
I want my sisters to come visit me when my parents come in 2 weeks!
I am almost 23 years old and there’s oodles I want to do.

Elvis and I at a sweet thrift shop!
 Song of the day: "Simple As It Should Be" - Tristan Prettyman

4 comments:

  1. I'm sick of wearing the same thing everyday too!! Weekends are great simply for the fact that I can get dressed....but then we should be grateful that we have such a selection of clothes to chose from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hang in there honeybunches of oates!!! i love you, am praying for you.... and i may live in sunny florida, but there are times i still feel the same as you <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 23 is still very young. I know I always joke about how it's hard to get up the stairs once you get to be my age, but even though you have lots of stuff you want to do, you're doing something pretty freakin cool right now. Hang in there, I'm sure you'll do lots of awesome things when you're done in the south.

    ReplyDelete