![]() |
| Before... |
I have been thinking about something I have heard a lot since I moved here. It is the difference between two little words, but it is getting to me. "Stay" versus "live." Many of the children at my school and some Corps Members use the word "stay" when talking about where they live. I have always said, "I live in Moorestown" or "I lived with my Mom and Dad." Recently I have been hearing, "I stay at St. Andrews Apartments" or "I stay with my Auntie and my Mom." I am not sure if it is a cultural thing or an economic thing? It has crossed my mind that maybe kids say that because they don't stay in their house/apartment for very long. Many students have been moving or they talk about moving and there are over 1000 kids in the district who are known to be homeless. So, does the word "stay" really mean "stay" or does it mean "live?"
My new definition of "relaxation." In college, relaxation meant chilling in my bed for a good part of the day, watching Gilmore Girls, eating Easy Mac, hanging out with my roommates and a laptop in the common area, and stumbling to the dining hall in sweatpants whenever I felt like it. Now, relaxation has a new meaning in my life. My freedom from the work week is now swamped with relaxing activities like doing the dishes, laundry, ultimate, cleaning my room, working out, and blogging. Welcome to the real world, Em. (I still manage to fit in Gilmore Girls quite often).
I think I have made a breakthrough with one of my students. One second grade boy did not care about school and learning. He is super smart and he has so much potential. His grades were suffering because he just did not put in the effort. I decided to find out his interests and get him to “research” and become a “scientist.” He likes dinosaurs, so I found a book and he took notes about interesting things about dinosaurs. He and I were both fascinated about some of the things we found out. I saw his enthusiasm growing. I showed him how to put together a Powerpoint Presentation. He was excited about all the animations. He presented the Powerpoint to his whole class and they were surprised and excited about what he had to say. He was able to elaborate and his classmates asked him questions. He was so proud of himself!!! As his teacher put it, he was “tickled pink.” He said, “Next can we learn about cars?” Yes! Learning! Woo-hooo!
![]() | ||
| After! |
![]() |
| I donated 10 inches and Bridget donated 15 inches! Song of the day: You and I by Ingrid Michaelson with Dan Romer |



Awesome haircut, Emily! Way to use your beautiful hair to bless someone!
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your entries for this year so far. (Hope you're collecting hard copies for "someday.") Your description of Savannah makes me want to go there. Someday. . .
Love, Aunt Dee