The Phantom Itch
Have you ever had that itch on your arm so you scratch it, but then it moves to your ankle, so you scratch that, and then your scalp itches, but you can’t seem to make it go away? You are being haunted by the Phantom Itch. “The Phantom Itch” is a real scientific term. When I see cockroaches, I cringe, my head starts to itch and my legs tingle. I have a good reason to feel this way:
The other day, I was sitting in the City Year corner in the Multipurpose Room, where I normally sit, at a desk, with an attached chair. I was working on some paperwork and lesson plans, listening to Ms. Clark’s music from across the room, Kenny was talking my ear off about random information. I get up to throw something away, turn around, and right where I was sitting was a giant cockroach! I screamed and ran across the room to where Ms. Clark was sitting. The Phantom Itch invaded my body and I almost started to cry. I was jumping and shaking my arms violently. Mr. Myers, the assistant principal, opened the door and asked, “Is everything okay?” I announce incoherently something about a cockroach and that I was alright. Kenny was of course laughing uncontrollably at me while I had a minor freak out. Tears came to my eyes while I realized that I was just hanging out with a cockroach under my butt for 20 minutes. Kenny then told me it was fake, so I started kicking/hitting him. He only said that to calm me down and when I punched his arm he decided to reveal that in fact I was sitting on a live cockroach. Finally I got angry, told him to kill it, and stormed out of the Multipurpose Room. I was haunted by the Phantom Itch for the rest of the day. Why is there a cockroach problem in a school anyway?
I decided to do something fun each night this week. Ultimate practice is always fun (Monday night). Plus, it was Valentine’s Day, which meant nothing to me but chocolate. Thanks Mom for the peanut butter M&Ms. I also made an amazing crab cake sandwich for myself (yes, I made the crab cake too).
Tuesday I played trivia at The Tin Roof. This was our first try at this location. It was not a big crowd, so our odds of winning looked pretty good. The host started off by saying that you were allowed to use your phone, and we were surprised to hear that. I doubled checked with him and he said, “You’re not trying hard enough if you don’t cheat.” Wow. We felt like we were testing our skills at looking up information, and not so much our brainpower. Anyway, the host kept helping us, so there was more cheating involved. We ended up in second place with a $25 gift card! $5 quesadillas for 5 people! After trivia, we got to hear familiar music from the only local artist I know personally, Jeremy Sakovich.
![]() |
| Winners! |
Wednesday I played trivia, again. We had a big group and it was awesome! We wagered all of our points on the last question, got it wrong, but somehow got 3rd place! I walked out with a free t-shirt.
Ultimate weekend in Charleston was awesome! I played with USC Scorch and they are a great team and a great group of girls. We ended up in 3rd out of 10 teams. I had never played these southern schools like Clemson, NC State, Tennessee, Charleston College, Appalachian State and Elon. It was a great experience for playing in the wind (ugh) and I got a nice sunburn/tan. Yes!
100 days until Graduation
Song of the Day: “Everything” by Michael Buble


No comments:
Post a Comment