A bucket-filler is a person who compliments others, does kind things for others, and one who generally spreads good feelings. A bucket-dipper is someone who we would call a “bully.” They diminish a person’s feelings by hurting them or doing cruel things. There is a more sophisticated version of this theory for adults, and I plan to find the book at the library this weekend, but the simple concept is to spread kindness! We are happy when our buckets are full, and sad when they are empty. So be a bucket-filler! I dare you!
Let me tell you a little bit about EBT, PT, CH, and Elementary School. Since my last post, I have only spent money because in the three weeks that I have been here, I have still not received a paycheck. But, last week my roommates and I began an adventure at 5:30 in the morning. We were determined to be first in line at The Department of Social Services to apply for food stamps (SNAP). For those of you who were like me and actually thought you got little coupons to pay for food, you are wrong. I have this tasteful EBT (Electronic Benefits Transfer) swipe card with a PIN and everything! Anyway, we were very much first in line. We were alone (except for the cockroaches) waiting on the steps outside DSS until 6:30. A few people joined us, but I totally could have slept in a little longer. We filled out the applications and proceeded to wait in the waiting room for 2 hours! I didn’t think to bring a book or anything entertaining, but thank goodness we had Rhyan’s Blackberry! We started playing trivia online and other people waiting around us joined in our game. At least it was an educational 2 hours. FYI: never get out of your seat at DSS…you won’t get it back. Once I had an interview, which was really two questions, the social worker filled out a file and gave me an EBT card. All I really had to explain was that I had zero income (the living stipend provided by CY is not considered income) and I brought a copy of my apartment lease. Now I can eat!
PT is a City Year tradition. It really shouldn’t be called Physical Training, because it is not exactly strenuous. We gather on the steps of the Capitol Building, which is an attractive place. Behind us, on the Capitol grounds, a Confederate flag flies. This I find to be ironic because we are a group of diverse people coming together to make a difference. We are proof of unity, especially when we do PT. It is meant to be silly and uniting. The Senior Corps members line up and then we Corps members form lines facing them. We stand in this formation, pledging to serve as a CY member and chanting other things. Then we do “exercises” all together. When I first witnessed this on a Youtube video in the application process, I was immediately turned off because I thought it looked like an army, and it is hard for me to join something like that. Then I realized the purpose, and I am now more than okay with it. It makes me laugh and once we have our full uniforms, it should look good.
CH stands for “Columbia Heroes,” what used to be a nationwide “Young Heroes.” The program involves middle school students from many different schools in Columbia, and the Corps Members. Together we do service projects on certain Saturdays. Last Saturday was an optional event with CH Alumni (older middle school kids). There were 16 kids and they were really fun. I sacrificed a day to sleep in to volunteer at a special community event at Benedict College. We put school supplies in backpacks and donated the backpacks to families in need. There were hundreds of backpacks and we assisted in handing them out to people. There was also a DJ, moon bounce, pony rides, rock climbing wall, and several booths. We were there to volunteer before enjoying the fun games, but since I was hanging out with middle school kids (or maybe not for that reason) I did a little moon bouncing myself.
I am a proud member of the team that serves the Eagles at our elementary school (Ashley, Kenith, Kelsey, and our team-leader Marcus)! We are very spirited and excited about making some changes there this year. The major shockers when I walked into the school were the following: Smartboards, 90% African-American students, a mess of a courtyard, and all of the children saying “yes ma’am.” I was surprised to see Smartboards, because of the low-income area, but it is kind of exciting! (I love my Smartboards). I was not really surprised at the demographics, but I did think about how I would feel if I was the only white kid in the class. Back home, it was the opposite. The courtyard needs some serious help, and that will be a major project for the Corps this year. I will share before-and-afters! I giggled a little when I heard the kids say “yes ma’am” in their adorable southern accents after the teacher gave directions or asked a question.
And now I will rant a little bit….
Dear Pennsylvania readers,
The drivers in Columbia are the worst drivers I have ever seen. My program manager, a native Columbian, said he has never seen such horrifying drivers. The infinitesimal street signs are difficult enough for the out-of-town driver, but add in the inattentive, absentminded pedestrians shooting out from between parked cars, and we have a mess on our hands. The sparse green left turn arrows cause these drivers to then pull out in the middle of an intersection to wait to make a left turn, yielding to what seems to be an endless line of speeders. When the light above their heads turns yellow, the cars from the opposite side of the road just keep on coming through. I thought yellow mean SLOW down. This in turn leads to more cars breaking the law by not clearing the intersection until a very red light. So, Pennsylvania drivers, I just want you to know that my New Jersey driving skills have saved my life many times, and we are not the worst drivers!
Love, Me
Song of the day: “Gone” by Matt Nathanson
No comments:
Post a Comment