Friday, July 30, 2010

"Famously Hot, Surprisingly Cool"

Columbia's tag line is quite appropriate.  The humidity down here is no joke but the place has been awesome so far.  There are a lot of cool things to do!
So, I haven’t been called a Yankee yet, nor have I started saying “y’all.  Here are some things that I have realized about this area: 
  • They sell beer and wine in Target and Walmart!   I literally stopped in my tracks when I saw Bud Light.  Not that I like Bud Light, just the fact that it was sitting on the shelves in the grocery section of Walmart.
  • I have only seen four cops since I got through Virginia
  • Turn signals don’t matter
  • You can count on a Waffle House or Bojangles (chicken and biscuits) or some kind of fried chicken every mile.  Maybe they get the fried chicken from Bojangles and then eat it alongside a Waffle House waffle?  Food Network told me that they eat chicken and waffles in the south.  I will give it a shot sometime.
  • It is common to get on a freeway to go three miles.  In Columbia, there is a freeway that surrounds the city.  There is an exit every mile.

I got a map today.  My roommates and I pretended to be USC students and checked out the Museum/Visitors Center.  I took a bunch of brochures and a map to hang in my room.  (That's all I will be studying this semester) We considered joining a campus tour, but they were talking about classes…none of that for me please.  We checked out the State House, Columbia being the Capitol and all, and it is surrounded by beauty (palm trees and lots of green).  George Washington guards the front stairs, and we noted his short stature (actual height). 

The USC campus is beautiful, but kind of dead because there aren’t any students in July.  When the semester begins, I think I will go back and wander around, spinning a disc.  They will find me or I will find them.  I cannot wait to meet some ultimate players!

Everyone we saw said “hey y’all” or something along those lines, and told us to “have a nice day” (in a nice southern accent).  People are very friendly...
Thank goodness for the farmer’s market in walking distance of my apartment.  Amanda and I arrived today and the first man we saw said, “Heaven must be missing two angels.”  Then we proceeded to get free tomatoes and peppers.  Unfortunately that was after we had already bought tomatoes, so I will be making bruscetta and tomato and cheese sandwiches for a week or so. 

I want to thank my Papa Bear for driving down to Columbia with me.  Being on 95 for 10 hours was not exactly fun, and he did not have to make that trip.  I am super glad I did not have to do it alone.

Song of the day: "The Space Between" by Valencia 

6 comments:

  1. I'm so excited you are blogging this adventure! Don't get behind like your journal! :) Anyway I do miss you already, but I am so so so so excited for you! And don't get used to not using a turn signal because they do matter up here, and you will make people mad! :) especially our dear friend Bill, it's his pet peeve! haha talk to you soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so what about the dance scene?????!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY for blogs! If you want to follow my blog you just need to know my link...which clicking on my name will lead you to! Also, you can "add a gadget" and click on list or something and then you can put in blogs of people who you want to check frequently! It's simple, really! So glad things are going well so far!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Em,

    Glad you are enjoying the southern hospitality. Kinda like culture shock isn't it. How slow is the pace compared to NJ?

    Don't know what your situation is with kids, schools, classroom etc. but you might want to check out:

    Teachade.com and visit the "Adopt -A-Classroom page

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're going to love how nice people are..takes a bit to get used to though. In Lynchburg I was always wondering what do they want from me at first..why are they being so nice? haha can't wait to keep reading your blog!! wooo have fun in the ATL this weekend! AJ will probs be jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Em, Welcome to the South. Sounds a lot like what I experienced when I first got to Houston. One thing I learned to like was the southern hospitality, everyone talks to you. They do occasionally call me a yank especially when I say the words water or daughter. (I guess I say wooder and dooghter.) Southern food is not exactly healthy, do they do a lot of barbeque there or is that more Texan? I never picked up the Y'all or fixen in my vocabulary. But it is easy to pick up a slight drawl if your not careful!! Enjoy your experience, We are very proud of you and excited for you too! We miss you!! Love ya, Aunt Cyndi

    ReplyDelete